Saturday, November 24, 2007

IT SPINS!!

My nephew is a budding artist--and as the DCP (designated creative person) of the family, it is my job to encourage this passion.

For Christmas I am getting him a set of 36 Prismacolor pencils, a sharpener, and a plastic eraser. And since he lost many of the 12 I gave him last year--A pencil box for them to go in.

He is just 10 but this is what gets him going. He even did drawing (with the encouragement of his camp counselor) for his summer camp talent show!

Anyway, back to the project.

It is a remote control holder from the unfinished wood products section of Hobby Lobby. I didn't know it was a remote holder till I looked it up on the HL website (Crafts Etc). I saw pencil holder when I first saw it and never saw anything else.

I sanded it, spray painted it matte black, and decoupaged it with the patterned paper. (Also from Hobby Lobby). Then it was embellishment time.

I used a lime green patterned dp from BasicGrey and some retired weathered and worn dp from SU! The letters in *LIFE* and *NiKoLaS* are die cut (after adhering the dp to some chipboard). The other lettering is stamped. The *ART* is stamped with Bravo Burgundy Craft ink then I waited a few minutes before heat embossing it with black embossing powder. The result is an uneven and distressed look.

The entire project has a few coats of spray acrylic sealer. I figured since it was going to a 10 year old--it needed some protection.

I am pretty happy with the way it turned out!!

Are you YOUR family's DCP??? What creative gifts do you have planned for the folks on your list? I would love to hear about or see them!!

You help me with the holes on my gift list--and I will help you with yours!! Deal???

No comments: