Monday, September 16, 2013

Mixed Media Mermaids

I have been admiring other's mix media projects for some time, now.   So I decided to try the Mix-Ability Challenge over on Splitcoast.  This past week's challenge was to seal a part of your artwork.

I had some Liquitex Glazing Medium from a jewelry project last year, an gave that a try.

Lydia cautioned to test the medium to make sure it wouldn't run the coloring on the artwork... well, I should have listened.  I assumed since I was glazing with a water based glaze over solvent based artwork that I would be fine...  I was wrong. ;)

In my first attempt the metallic markers (solvent based) bled and ran.  I had thought I put too much on at once.

Then I tried to paint a thin layer on first, and then go thicker.  But I still got some bleeding, but thankfully This is an underwater scene, so it kinda worked for me.  (I am thinking heat setting the markers  and letting my thin layer cure longer would have helped)

All in all it was a fun experience!

Stamps used: Rubbernecker: Abstract Roses and Beauty and the Beast Backgrounds; Starving Artistamps: Mini Positive Words; A Day For Daisies: Water World;

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Judy Rozema said...

These are both beautiful!! Wow!