Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Back in the Saddle

Well, the watercolor saddle.

I used to watercolor very often and since my colored pencils came onto the scene--I have gotten out of the habit. But last night I needed to unwind a bit (Christmas Stress) and I figured watercoloring was the ticket.

I also needed a few sympathy cards. I think simple is best for sympathy cards. So I just used this lighthouse stamp from Inkadinkadoo on some watercolor paper made into a card. This one is for my brother in law who lost his mom right before Thanksgiving. (Simple not flowery).


I also thought this was the perfect time to try out my new stamps from Starving Artistamps. These equestrian images are perfect for a family friend who is across the country going to the police academy. She has waited so long to get into an academy (there have not been any in Michigan due to budget constraints). She is entering *Hell Week* according to her parents. I hope this card can take her mind off of her stress for at least a moment. She loves horses (being away from her horse will probably be the hardest part of the academy). I am certain she will be able to relate to the sentiment!!




This last card is because I remembered that Tracey over at Starving Artistamps needs card in the portrait orientation rather than the landscape orientation. So I re-did the same design but in the other direction. I am so glad I did--because I like it much better. It wasn't the direction my instinct let me to go--but it is better!

I really like the sun stamp. I misted the stamp, colored it with watercolor crayons, re-misted it, then stamped it on misted watercolor paper. With the mistings, the colors ran a bit--giving the illusion of a hot midday sun. (Something that is lacking here in northern Michigan).

I made multiples of each card (it is that time of year when I need multiples of everything). And when I had completed watercoloring each card--I was a calmer person. Probably from visiting the summer shore and the hot prairie--and I never left my home.

2 comments:

Rick said...

Nice art. I'm not good or brave enough for watercolor. I generally stick with my color pencils.

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

Lynda said...

I think both cards are beautiful! It looks so serene.... Great job Juliana!

~Lynda